Hi, I’m Christine Woolgar. Here at Faith in Grey Places, I explore Scripture through creative writing—whether that’s 🖋 poetry, 📝 prose or 🎭 drama. I write to offer encouragement and fresh perspectives for everyone who wants to build their faith and connect with God, particularly through a greater understanding of the Bible.
This site is full of devotional, reflective and thought-provoking pieces! You’re welcome to use them in worship—and I’d love to know if you do! Contact me here. If you use my work, please credit me and include a link to this site.
I publish something new each Sunday and occasionally I have the luxury of going back and making edits. If you like what you read, please consider signing up for weekly or quarterly updates via email.
Photo by Erez Attias on Unsplash
Matthew on Money — short dramas exploring what the gospel has to say about finances
I’m currently writing short satires, exploring what Matthew’s gospel had to say about money.
- On giving to the poor: ‘The Silent Finance Awards’ (a comedy based on Matthew 6:1–4)
- The rich young ruler: ‘The Sacrifice of Inheritance’ (a drama based on Matthew 19:16–30)
- Jesus sends out the twelve: ‘The Miracle Method’ (a satire based on Matthew 5:5–15)
- The Three Wise Wives (a short drama based on Matthew 2)
- Offering and Greed: The Apocalypse of Price Gouging (a satire based on Matthew 21:12–13)
- Putting God before grifters in your household budget (a satire based on Matthew 15:1–12)
Other narrative sermons in the form of monologues
- Two Boys From Nazareth (a sketch about John the Baptist’s ministry)This is a monologue / narrative sermon based on Matthew 3:1–12. It explores repentance from the point of view of an anonymous man.
- Skandalon: Mary teaches the boy JesusA monologue based on Luke 2:41–50. Mary describes her experience and heartache from when Jesus visited the temple as a boy.
- His name is John: Elizabeth writes to MaryA monologue based on Luke 1:5–25,57–80. Elizabeth writes a letter to Mary shortly after the birth of John the Baptist.
Browse other series
🖋 Agency in Passiontide and Easter: fourteen poems exploring agency and choice in stories of Jesus’ passion and resurrection
🎭 Living with conflict: six duologues as Samuel meets with the young girl from Israel (2 Kg 5), Ezekiel, John the Baptist, Peter’s wife, Jonathan and, lastly, Jesus
🖋 Songs of the Spirit: poems for Pentecost and the fruit of the Spirit
🖋 The God who…: twelve poems celebrating God’s actions, inspired by Hebrew verbs
📝 Cloud of witnesses: twenty letters to the people listed in Hebrews 11, from Abel to Samuel
🖋 Christmas ‘nine lessons’ poems: nine poems based on the nine readings in a traditional carol service
📝 Advent to Epiphany daily studies: forty reflections and studies to explain Christmas (no prior knowledge assumed)
I send out all of my devotional content via email, so if you like what you read please sign up below!
Faith in Grey Places is the sister-site of my blog Light in Grey Places. You can read more about me and about my theology there.